HCHA is committed to protecting the integrity of the Housing Choice Voucher (HCV) Program and ensuring that only eligible families and property owners receive benefits in accordance with HCV Program rules and regulations. If you have reason to believe that any program violations are taking place in connection with HCHA’s HCV Program, please call the HCV Program Integrity Hotline at 713.669.4537. As taxpayers, we all have a stake in ensuring that federal housing assistance funds are distributed properly. We encourage and appreciate your support in this matter.
Reporting HCV Program Violations
A program violation may involve false statements, omissions or actions made with the intent to deceive or mislead, resulting in the misuse of funds or the violation or circumvention of HCV Program rules. A program violation may be committed by a property owner/manager, applicant, voucher holder, participant, HCHA employee or HCHA subcontractor who helps administer the HCV Program. Examples of possible program violations committed by property owners and participants are shown below.
What Constitutes a Program Violation?
Property Owner Violations
- Offering bribes to HCHA or HCV Program employees or HCHA subcontractors
- Accepting Housing Assistance Payments (HAPs) for properties that he or she does not own or represent as the legal agent
- Accepting HAPs for vacant apartments/homes
- Requesting rent payments from tenants in excess of the amount stated in the lease
- Renting to relatives without prior approval from HCHA
HCVP Participant Violations
- Not reporting income or total amount of income
- Subletting the subsidized apartment/home
- Not living in the subsidized unit or maintaining a second home
- Having unauthorized persons living in the apartment/home
- Using a voucher from HCHA while receiving rental assistance from another agency
There are several things to keep in mind when reporting violations of HCVP rules and regulations. Immediate reporting is necessary, while facts are still fresh in the mind of the complainant. All reports must answer the questions who, what, when, where, why, and how. Complainants should include any available supporting documentation. Reports that are too vague or that cannot be corroborated may result in a case being closed without any action taken.
- Call the Hotline at 713.669.4537
- Fax the Hotline at 713.669.4594
- Email email@example.com
- Mail your complaint to:
Harris County Housing Authority (HCHA)
HCV Program Integrity
8933 Interchange Drive
Houston, TX 77054
The information you provide to HCHA regarding suspected program violations is strictly confidential. Due to federal regulations, HCHA cannot comment on actions taken after your allegation is reported. It is not necessary or possible for you to obtain the status of the investigation. However, we assure you that HCHA will investigate all allegations to determine whether violations have occurred and, if so, apply the proper penalties. Penalties for non-compliance with HCVP rules and regulations include:
HCHA Investigations and Enforcement
- Termination of HAP Contract
- Termination from the HCV Program
- Recapture of HAPs
- Prosecution under federal/criminal statutes
- Debarment from participating in the HCV Program