The Texas Department of Housing and Community Affairs (TDHCA) has received approximately $1.3 billion in Emergency Rental Assistance funds from the newly passed Coronavirus Relief Bill Rental Assistance Program. TDHCA is using the funds to help Texas renters pay rent and utility bills (including past due rent and utilities).
TDHCA’s Texas Rent Relief program website and phone systems are up and running and ready to answer questions. TDHCA will accept applications from landlords and tenants beginning February 15, 2021, at 8 a.m., Central Time.
1. Click here to learn more and apply online .
2. Learn more and apply by phone at 833-9TX-RENT (833-989-7368).
The Texas Rent Relief program can help with the following costs starting as far back as March 13, 2020:
- Past due, current and up to 3 months of expected rent costs
- Past due, current or up to 3 months of expected utility and home energy expenses
- After the initial 3 months of forward assistance, households can apply for 3 additional months of assistance if funds are still available
Households must have incomes at or below 80% of the Area Median Income and meet other qualifications. Click here for full details.
To help with outreach, we’ve created a toolkit with printable tenant flyers as well as social graphics, which will be available for use later this week.
TDHCA is committed to assisting you through the Coronavirus Relief Bill Rental Assistance Program. We look forward to working with you.
Texas Department of Housing and Community Affairs
For news media inquiries only, please refer to Kristina Tirloni at (512) 475-4743. All other questions, please call 833-9TX-RENT (833-989-7368).