Moving to Harris County
Starting the Porting In Process
- HUD 52665 Family Portability Information Form
- HUD 50058 Form
- Copies of supporting income verification documents
- Voucher holder’s current voucher (the voucher must not expire before 60 days or the voucher holder will be referred back to their initial housing authority)
- Family contact information, including a valid phone number and address
Please allow 10-15 business days for HCHA to receive all required documents and follow up with your initial housing authority to find out the status of your paperwork. Questions or documents related to porting to HCHA can also be emailed to email@example.com.
- Current valid photo identification
- Birth certificates for all household members
- Social Security cards for all household members
- Marriage License, Divorce Decree and/or Court Award Custody Letters, if applicable
- In addition, the family may be required to provide documentation of their household income.
Eligibility Screening and Briefing Session
HCHA may reject a portability application if there is evidence of violent and/or drug-related criminal activity, serious lease violations and outstanding balances owed to the initial housing authority or a previous property owner. If a member of the household fails the criminal background check or HCHA determines that the family is not eligible, the portability application will be withdrawn and the family or individual may be subject to termination from the HCV Program.
If the household’s application is approved, HCHA will issue a voucher with the same expiration date as the one from the initial housing authority. Again, if the initial voucher will expire before 60 days have passed, HCHA will not approve a portability application.
Once the voucher holder’s eligibility has been verified, the porting family or individual must attend a briefing session to receive their moving papers including a Request for Tenancy Approval (RTA) packet and a HCHA voucher.
Housing Search, Inspection and Rent Reasonableness
Completing the Process
For questions or if you would like more information on the portability process, call the HCHA Customer Call Center at 713.578.2100.